[hibernate-dev] SchemaManagementTool / Exportable

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Thu Aug 9 12:38:46 EDT 2012

The basics of org.hibernate.service.schema.spi.SchemaManagementTool are
essentially done.  There is a lot of clean up I want to do after
Configuration is gutted or removed, changing how SchemaExport, etc work
internally.

But one thing I wanted to discuss was to change up how Exportable works.
  Today, its really not much different than what we used to do.  The
database objects themselves know how to render themselves into SQL
CREATE/DROP/ALTER commands.  What I am contemplating is externalizing
this rendering (lets call them ExportableRenderer, thought better names
welcome).  This would serve 2 useful purposes:
1) Clean up the Table, Sequence, etc code clutter.
2) Allow plugging in alternate renderings for things.  This could be
dialects or users or event custom SchemaManagementTool supplied.

WDYT?

steve at hibernate.org
http://hibernate.org