[hibernate-dev] SessionFactory building, 5.0-style

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Thu Aug 23 09:27:59 EDT 2012

The initial design I had for building a SessionFactory using the new
metamodel was 3 steps:

1) build ServiceRegistry
2) build Metadata
3) build SessionFactory using both ServiceRegistry and Metadata

This changed a little as actually implemented in the metamodel branch:
1) build "boot strap" service registry
2) build basic service registry
3) build MetadataSources
4) build Metadata
5) build SessionFactory using both basic service registry and Metadata

I would like to change this slightly based on JPA 2.1 work and
integrating that with containers (mainly through planning with Scott for
JBoss AS).

<background>
Essentially Scott and I made a change proposal to JPA EG for how managed
EMF bootstrapping happens to better account for stuff in the container's
environment not being available until certain times.  It is a typical
"hole in the interaction of specs" deal.  Long story short, we want to
make boot strapping of an EMF into 2 distinct phases.  Whether or not
that gets accepted/approved, we will implement this approach for
Hibernate EMF bootstrapping and JBoss AS will leverage it.

The 2 phases are meant to account for container resources not being
available or the need to delay classloading.
</background>

The changes I propose would just be ordering:
-- phase 1 --
1) build "boot strap" service registry
2) build MetadataSources
-- phase 2 --