[hibernate-dev] Concept of "service availability"

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Tue Aug 28 08:39:10 EDT 2012

The problem there is timing.  Hibernate already has to be started in order
for "this" to work.  But what "this" is doing is providing things Hibernate
needs to start.  Its chicken-egg.

Interestingly this is very similar to the proposal Scott Marlow and I made
to the JPA group.  And in fact that could be leveraged here.  Essentially
that proposal was to make JPA bootstrapping a 2-phase process rather than
just a single "build it" phase.  Here however that would mean (iiuc, and
please correct me if I do not) Hibernate needing 2 OSGi services.  One that
builds the BootstrapServiceRegistry and MetadataSources/Configuration and
then another that builds the SessionFactory/EntityManagerFactory.  The type
of things you discuss here would depends on the first service but somehow
need to be ordered before the second Hibernate service.

Of course assuming we even want to go that route in Hibernate source.  The
other option is the OSGi container adding that bundle to the ClassLoader it
passes Hibernate so Hibernate can do the auto-discovery.  Maybe I am
missing some options?