[hibernate-dev] Metamodel dev questions

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Fri Aug 31 12:10:36 EDT 2012

On 31 Jan 2012, at 1:46 PM, Steve Ebersole wrote:

> IIUC that not how use of jboss-logging for generating exception messages is supposed to work, though to be honest, I do not know the details.  Since you "use this in Validator and Search" I would figure you would know how to do it.

Turns out it is another classical chicken and egg problem. I tried to return a MappingException which is at the time the annotation processor runs not compiled yet (In Search and Validator we use exceptions which are available on the classpath).
A solution would be to first compile exceptions prior to running the annotation processor, but that would make the build even more complicated. The alternative is to just return a string

	@Message(value = "Unable to find mapping information for %s. Are you sure all annotated classes and configuration files are added?", id = 443)
	String missingEntitySource(String entityName);

and use this string in the exception constructor.

--Hardy