[hibernate-dev] Voldemort maven module for Hibernate OGM

Seiya Kawashima seiya.kawashima at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 13:41:25 EST 2012

Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately I'm not quite sure the reason that the Voldemort project
doesn't push it to the maven repository. There are questions and
discussions about the usage of the repository on the Internet, but it seems
to me that there is no clear answer for the reason. Or I just have not
noticed the existence.

I have several questions about hibernate ogm core. These parts are that
particularly I would like you to take a look at. The implementations might
be awkward or incorrect.

   1. To implement datastore providers for hibernate ogm, there are two
   code styles. One is from MapBasedDatastoreProvider and the other is from
   Infinispan and EhCache datastore providers. When we add other datastore
   providers, which style should  we follow ? I've been referencing
   MapBasedDatastoreProvider from the beginning of my experiment on Hibernate
   OGM, the implementation followed  MapBasedDatastoreProvider.
   2. To implement VoldemortDatastoreProvider.setNextValue() method, I was
   confused a little bit. I originally referenced other datastore
   and implemented it, but on VoldemortDialectTest.testIsThreadSafe() which
   tests concurrency on the method, my original
implementation<https://gist.github.com/1903794>ran poorly because it
   required an exclusive lock and datastore access every time the method is
   called. And then I modified the method and got the current
   implementation in VoldemortDatastoreProvider. However, it doesn't quite
   reduce the number of accesses to the underlying datastore as I wanted,
   but allows concurrency. As a result, I put a flag to store the next
valueon the datastore or not. I'm not quite sure if this is the
rightimplementation or not.
   3. To implement GridDialect.getLockingStrategy() method, the returned
   object whose type is LockingStratey represents locks on underlying datatore
   according to the javadoc. How should we implement this method when the
   underlying datastore doesn't explicitly expose locks as objects ? Looks
   like that Infinispan exposes some lock objects, so they are instantiated
   and returned from the method. Voldemort has the concept of optimistic lock
   exposing a method called
voldemort.client.StoreClient.applyUpdate<http://project-voldemort.com/javadoc/all/>and
Redis also has the concept exposing a method called
   watch<http://www.jarvana.com/jarvana/view/redis/clients/jedis/2.0.0/jedis-2.0.0-javadoc.jar%21/index.html>and
the
   description <http://redis.io/topics/transactions#cas> . I use Jedis
2.0.0<https://github.com/xetorthio/jedis>as Redis client.

Thank you once again.

Seiya

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 3:10 AM, Emmanuel Bernard <emmanuel at hibernate.org>wrote:

> Just for my personal record, the process to upload a 3rd party dependency
> to JBoss repos is here
> https://community.jboss.org/wiki/UploadingAThirdpartyArtifact
>
> On 28 févr. 2012, at 10:06, Emmanuel Bernard wrote:
>
> > Hi Seiya,
> >
> > Many thanks for this work and sorry for the delay in answering. I / we
> will definitively have a look. We have strong deadlines for mid-week on
> Hibernate Search, but I'll have more time after that.
> >
> > Do you know why the Voldemort project does not push it to a maven
> repository. Is that because they are busy doing something else or is that
> because they do not want it for some other reasons? I am thinking of using
> the JBoss Maven repo and push it there.
> >
> > Emmanuel
> >
> > On 24 févr. 2012, at 23:01, <skawashima at uchicago.edu> <
> skawashima at uchicago.edu> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I wrote sample implementations for Voldemort,Redis and Riak on
> Hibernate OGM a couple of weeks ago. Based on them, I created a Voldemort
> maven module and put it on my github repository at
> https://github.com/seiyak/hibernate-ogm. The project was forked from the
> original one and the modifications were applied on it following Emmanuel's
> advice on the previous mailing list. I put README.md in
> hibernate-ogm-voldemort directory, so please read it before typing 'mvn
> clean install'. Voldemort needs to be installed manually into the local
> maven repository as of the version 0.90.1.
> >>
> >> According to the supplied tests, it looks fine. However, I need advice
> and suggestions to make it better,cleaner and right if there is something
> incorrect. I'll ask several questions that I got during the programming
> later.
> >>
> >> Please let me know what you think of the code. If it's worth of a part
> of Hibernate OGM, I would like to contribute it.
> >>
> >> Thank you
> >> Seiya

Thank you
Seiya