[hibernate-dev] schema export question

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Sat Jul 28 11:16:21 EDT 2012

On Jul 27, 2012, at 2:25 PM, Steve Ebersole wrote:

> This is all changing as we had discussed the other day.

Right, that's why I brought it up.

> If for now you want to change Exporter to be public for what you need, go for it.

I thought it would be nice to test/assert against the generated DDL script. In a true unit test sense I probably should
use the model classes and make sure that the constraints get applied by the Bean Validation TypeSafeActivator.

On the other hand I was surprised that it was not possible to programmatically get hold of the DDL statements from
SchemaExport. That's where I came across the Exporter interface.

> However as for setter keep in mind there are actually multiple export ers in play.

In fact there is a whole list and I am suggesting to add just another one to the list.

> We can discuss the state of the changes so far locally on my machine if you want.

Sounds good. Maybe you can push thing to GitHub

> Why aren't you just changing the "relational model" (adding check constraints, etc) for the exports to pick up?

That's what I am doing. I just wanted to use the SchemaExporter for testing.

> And no, that should be using System.out.  Its output it sent to stdout specifically for purposes of command line piping/redirection.

Ok. Good to know.

--Hardy