[hibernate-dev] Hibernate.next version and AS 7.2 community release...

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Tue Jun 26 15:02:40 EDT 2012

There are a lot of libraries depending on Hibernate Commons
Annotations, up to Infinispan for the Query module (not depending on
any other Hibernate core library).

If you want to rewrite it's internals and provide a drop-in
replacement, that's nice. But I see no reason to throw it away?

Could you please list why it should be rewritten from scratch? Not
just for me only, I also think it's nice to clarify the goals of a
rewrite.

I admit I am not familiar with it's internals.. but that's IMHO a very
good sign, in two years working on these projects I only had to open a
single JIRA on it [1], and it wasn't a bug nor urgent... that's damn
cool.

Finally, the wide set of dependent projects remind me of JBoss Logger;
Logger is well written and quite solid, still even the small problems
we found with it proved disruptive because of the need to align the
version across so many components.. and I don expect anyone to rewrite
such a tricky library correct at first shot, considering H.C.A.
contains the code to infer the type out of generics.

There were good reasons to move to JBoss Logger; do we have super good
reasons to rewrite this?
I'm for incremental and backwards compatible changes.

On 26 June 2012 19:39, Steve Ebersole <steven.ebersole at gmail.com> wrote:
> Agree 10,000%

Cool, in European notation that's not much :-)

Sanne

1 - The classloader API improvements for Search in CapeDwarf