[hibernate-dev] upgrade to gradle 1.0-m9

Strong Liu stliu at hibernate.org
Wed Mar 21 03:43:27 EDT 2012

On Mar 21, 2012, at 6:23 AM, Steve Ebersole wrote:

> GRADLE-2169 (or at least tests hanging on your system) was the main reason to switch to m9.  If that's not addressed by m9 then IMO we should not switch.  Like I said on IRC all the reports I saw (JIRA and forum) said that that particular thing is still an issue.  Curious it only fails on some systems.  The next release is supposed to be the first RC, I'd vote we wait for that if possible.  One thought I have been having... Is Gradle using its daemon now by default?  If so, I wonder if our memory settings, when set environmentally, are not passed along to the daemon.  One of the forums posts suggest the underlying cause of these hangs is situations where the "worker process" encounters certain types of errors such as OOM.  That would certainly happen trying to run the testsuites.

no, the daemon is not started by default, it just be considered matured enough.
you still need "--daemon" explicitly to enable it

GRADLE-2169 maybe not the one i'm getting, at least our tests do not use any security stuff I believe.

but since my change is ready to push, so, I would suggest you give it a try, if it doesn't break anything (though it doesn't fix my issue either) I would vote we accept it, since with this change, it would make the next upgrade to the CR release easier

> As for name-spacing the manual, the doctype declaration for manual now all use SYSTEM instead of PUBLIC.  So even if they cannot be resolved locally, it should never try to resolve them remotely.  So not sure why this causes extra time.  I would think either it does not load the DTD or it fails.  Of course if you already have the work done to convert it to be name-spaced, I'd say push it.

don't know why, but from my local testing, the dev guide / quickstart docs are built much faster than manual when using dtd