[hibernate-dev] Coordinates storage in Lucene index for spatial functionality

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Thu May 3 05:07:07 EDT 2012

Let me see if I understood by rephrasing. I am trying to get a feel of where conversions happen.

I am assuming that this is mostly relevant for the boolean query approach and the later circle memory filtering (ie that quad tree is not involved).

Today we accept decimal coordinates from the user and store them as is in the index. But to calculate the right rectangle and then circle filter when
we build a query and later filter elements in memory (circle):

- we convert the query coordinates into radians to find the right box boundaries coordinates and convert them back into decimals
- for each matching element in the box we further convert the coordinates in radian to filter by circle

In the new scheme where radians are stored, we would:

- receive coordinates from the user as decimals
- convert them to radians once at indexing time and once at query time

So the big difference would be that we avoid the per element in the box filtering conversion from decimals to radians.

Am I correct or completely wrong?