[hibernate-dev] Coordinates storage in Lucene index for spatial functionality

Nicolas Helleringer nicolas.helleringer at gmail.com
Mon May 7 04:31:42 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I have done a radian patch/branch and some benchmarks on geonames french
database.

Benchs are on 2k calls each run.

Radians:
run 1
Mean time with Grid : 4.808043092820513 ms
Mean time with Grid + Distance filter : 6.571108878461538 ms
Mean time with DoubleRange : 14.62661525128205 ms
Mean time with DoubleRange + Distance filter : 20.143597923076925 ms

run 2
Mean time with Grid : 5.290368523076923 ms
Mean time with Grid + Distance filter : 6.706567517435897 ms
Mean time with DoubleRange : 14.878960702564102 ms
Mean time with DoubleRange + Distance filter : 20.75806591948718 ms

Degrees:
run 1
Mean time with Grid : 5.101956610769231 ms
Mean time with Grid + Distance filter : 6.548685109230769 ms
Mean time with DoubleRange : 14.767478146153845 ms
Mean time with DoubleRange + Distance filter : 20.668063972820512 ms

run 2
Mean time with Grid : 4.683360031282051 ms
Mean time with Grid + Distance filter : 6.7065247435897435 ms
Mean time with DoubleRange : 14.617140157948716 ms
Mean time with DoubleRange + Distance filter : 20.074868595897435 ms

The radian branch is here for review :
https://github.com/nicolashelleringer/hibernate-search/tree/HSEARCH-923-RADIANS

While moving from degrees to radians I have seen that DSL has still some
work to do.
I shall focus on that now.

Niko