[hibernate-dev] Hibernate 4.x, JTA(BMT) transactions no longer interchangeable with Hibernate transaction facade?

Zachary Kurey zackurey at gmail.com
Wed May 9 16:31:46 EDT 2012

Following up with a clarification.  After looking at this again it
doesn't look like the Session path has this problem.  Instead the
EntityManager path of:
1.  start a JTA transaction programmatically
2.  check there is a current session
associated(SessionFactory.getCurrentSession()).  I only mention this
since the session I get with currentSession is not the same session
the produced entitymanager uses.
3.  call entityManagerFactory.createEntityManager()
4.  try to execute some JPA
query(entityManager.createQuery().executeUpdate()), and I get a
TransactionRequired Exception.

Specifically I'm looking at the EntityManager path of:
AbstractQueryImpl->executeUpdate->AbstractEntityManagerImpl->isTransactionInProgress->SessionImpl.isTransactionInProgress->TransactionCoordinatorImpl->JtaTransaction->isActive()

Which again the local status is not active.  When debugging I can also
see the underlying session is not the same session that I got from
currentSession().  Also before local status is checked I see the path
of SessionImpl->checkTransactionStatus->Coordinator.pulse()->attemptToRegisterJtaSync
is executed.  But transactionContext.autoJoinTransaction is false, so
the user transaction is never looked up.

It seems off to me that the entityManager produced after I started the
transaction is using a different underlying Session.  Is that correct
or not correct?

Again something seems broken or incredibly non-obvious here,
especially since this worked in 3.x.  Would love some feedback, but
until then I'm going to start boiling this into a testcase so its
really clear what my expectations are.

ZK