[hibernate-dev] metamodel work

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Wed May 23 14:14:09 EDT 2012

On Wed 23 May 2012 01:05:19 PM CDT, Gail Badner wrote:

> I seem to be the only one writing tests that extend BaseCoreFunctionalTestCase with hibernate.test.new_metadata_mapping=true. I've been doing this to ensure that the metamodel info is translated into the persisters properly and that standard operations (i.e., SQL and bound parameters) are being executed properly.

Well thats also not the only way to write tests for targetting the new
metamodel.  Most of the tests I write at least for metamodel work are
in fact not functional tests.  So I don't try to to fit them into there
since they don't fit.

> TBH, I find it interesting that the people that are not actually doing this work think that simply being able to toggle a configuration parameter is a waste of time...

Has nothing to do with toggling a switch.  Really you are forcing that
Configuration (as is) and org.hibernate.mapping be kept around past
their useful lifecycle because now you are introducing tests that
require that.  This is the exact same story I related to you wrt HQL
testing.  And actually its even worse than the HQL tests because here
there arent even assertions that assert that both paths result in the
same thing; instead you just manually check that by eye.

steve at hibernate.org
http://hibernate.org