[hibernate-dev] brainstorming hibernate search integration Solr

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Fri May 25 04:53:25 EDT 2012

Hi,

On May 25, 2012, at 9:08 AM, Gustavo Candela wrote:

> I don't know if HS puts some metainformation in the indexes and solr can
> not read them....i also think that i have to create an schema in solr with
> the index fields…

There is no hidden meta information. It's all in a standard Lucene index. Hibernate Search
requires certain fields to be there in order to work, but if you are just using the index from Solr
that's not an issue.

Creating a solr index can be everything from simple to quite a lot of work. Obviously you could
just look at an index the containing fields and create the schema. For a more generic solution
you would need the meta information about the indexed field. I don't think that Search exposes
all meta information in a easy to consume way (yet). This is related to https://hibernate.onjira.com/browse/HSEARCH-436
There wold be obviously much more code to write if you go down this path, but with a much
bigger benefit for Search as well :-)

--Hardy