[hibernate-dev] AssociationType.isEmbeddedInXML() no longer used

Gail Badner gbadner at redhat.com
Thu Nov 8 21:15:23 EST 2012

I've created HHH-7770 for removing attributes from hbm.xml mapping elements related to EntityMode.DOM4J. Should this be done in metamodel branch for 5.0? Is there any way (or reason) to deprecate these attributes before 5.0?

I've also created HHH-7771 for deprecating obsolete Type and AssociationType methods left over from EntityMode.DOM4J. I set the target as 4.1.9.

I've created HHH-7772 to remove the deprecated code in 5.0.

I'd like to get rid of code having to do with being "embedded in XML" because it is yet another way the word "embedded" is used that adds to confusion.

EnhancedUserType and XmlRepresentableType have toXMLString() and fromXMLString(). I am not sure if these are still needed.

Steve mentioned something about adding org.hibernate.type.StringRepresentableType to handle basic to/from string handling. I see that StringRepresentableType already has toString() and fromStringValue().

Steve, are you thinking that toXMLString() and fromXMLString() would be added to StringRepresentableType?

What about fromString(), toLoggableString()? Would these be added to StringRepresentableType?

I don't think this is related to being "embedded in XML", but I noticed there is also EntityType.isNotEmbedded(), which always returns false. AFAICT, it has no impact on anything and can also be deprecated in 4.x and removed in 5.0. Or am I missing something here?

Thanks,
Gail