[hibernate-dev] Stored procedure support

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Sat Nov 17 09:38:15 EST 2012

On 16 Jan 2012, at 4:34 PM, Steve Ebersole wrote:

> The alternative would be something like defining a typed
> RegisteredParameter contract:
>
> interface RegisteredParameter<T> {
>     public Class<T> getParameterType();
>     public ParameterMode getMode();
> }
>
> and then:
>
> StoredProcedureCall call = session.createStoredProcedureCall("my_proc");
> RegisteredParameter<Long> p1Param = call.registerParameter(
>     "p1",
>     Long.class,
>     ParameterMode.OUT
> );
> //maybe some other stuff...
> StoredProcedureOutputs outputs = call.getOutputs();
> Long p1 = outputs.getOutputParameterValue( p1Param );

I also like this second option better. Even though I don't think the casts are so bad either. I find
our days there is too much hype around type safety and in fact in some situation a cast can be "cleaner" than a
whole bunch of generic classes and methods.

I also like the approach with three parameters (name, type and mode) better than splitting this out into
multiple methods. I actually don't think that the other approach is more readable.

Last but not least I am not a big fan of the builder approach either ;-)

My 0.02 $
Hardy