[hibernate-dev] [HSearch] ServiceManager and services

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Fri Oct 12 09:29:40 EDT 2012

On 12 Jan 2012, at 2:58 PM, Sanne Grinovero wrote:

> I was having similar doubts when recently converted the Serializer
> service to a Service.

good :-)

> The ServiceProvider<T> can contain logic to make a choice about which
> Service implementation you're supposed to get, as it receives the
> configuration properties.

Again. In this case we have a LifeCycleManager and not a ServiceManager. The choice of
implementation (service) is still done in the ServiceProvider impl which seems somehow
upside down.

> In short how different alternatives are discovered, that's not
> something the ServiceProvider specifies, you have a lot of freedom in
> that sense: the Provider can define whatever logic it wants; you're
> supposed to have a single provider, but this one can be overriden by
> other modules.

how?

> Example: JGroupsChannelProvider has a start() method in which it
> decides what exactly it's going to create.

not sure I fully understand this concept

> I agree it could do better, for example by listing alternative
> implementations for the Provider to choose from, but until we don't
> need that there's no reason to over engineer it.

I am all up for not over engineering, but what we are engineering should do what
it implied to be doing. That's not the case here imo.

> It's likely that this will evolve; especially the Avro picking stuff
> you mention.. doesn't look like we finished that; in fact there is a
> TODO in SerializationProviderService. I'll check JIRA to see if we're
> tracking that.

Right. I think we need to sort this out. Right now the code seems to be a mixing different concepts.

--Hardy