[hibernate-dev] [HSearch] ServiceManager and services

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Fri Oct 12 10:03:15 EDT 2012

On 12 October 2012 14:49, Hardy Ferentschik <hardy at hibernate.org> wrote:

>>> Right. I think we need to sort this out. Right now the code seems to be a mixing different concepts.
>>
>> That's specific for Avro anyway, and as Emmanuel said not really
>> important as there is no visible benefit (other than removing a
>> question mark). I don't think it's a good idea to change the meaning
>> of this wiring fabric now: I'm not against it in the future,
>
> as long as we agree that there is some sort of confusion/mixup in the implementation
> and it is not only me who sees potential problems here.

Yes I agree it's confusing. I think that was my first line ;)
Still I think - having had some experience with it - that you should
be able to use it as it is to solve your issue.

>> we're late now and in need of a stable release.
>
> Right. On the other hand, the earlier we would address this, the earlier we can deprecate code and
> eventually remove it (if this is what's needed). For example if we want to have a clean switch in
> Hibernate Search 5 we should change the API now and potentially deprecating parts of the api.
> Just saying …

That's the least of our problems in migration. I attacked Lucene 4
yesterday night to get a feeling of it; there's no way we can have
backwards compatibility on the horizon.

On that subject, since I'm having a branch with some ~5,000 lines of
code changed already I'd appreciate a full ban of whitespace changes
until we merge it :-)
I could solve the first ~900 compile errors in a couple of hours, but
the remaining ~700 errors are getting harder and harder.. fun but had
to shelve the changes and focus on 4.2.

Cheers,
Sanne