[hibernate-dev] Build and AnnotationProcessors

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Thu Apr 18 08:27:00 EDT 2013

On 17 Jan 2013, at 9:33 PM, Brett Meyer <brmeyer at redhat.com> wrote:

> "Get the sources and load it directly in your IDE.  IMO that is stupid."
>
> Honestly, that's always been the absolute *first* thing I do.  I'd argue that most contributing developers are interested in the src, first and foremost.

For sure. I am not saying that you should not be able to load the sources into an IDE, but does the IDE need to be able to compile the
project out of the box? That's in my opinion a different question.

Also there might be a question of performance. Would adding the annotation processors to the IDE javac calls not also mean that the processors
are called on each incremental compile?

The only processor which really matters during the development is the logging annotation processor. It would be nice if when adding a new log method
the interface would be updated automatically, but if that implies a notably change in performance I rather stick to manually rebuild the Log interface when
I am adding a new log method. You can always configure your annotation processor manually.

>  My intentions for working on the Eclipse generation was to make IDE setup as painless as possible.  Is it important to have a well-developed build process?  Of course.
> But it's also important to balance that with removing as many roadblocks as possible that might detract contributors.

Right, it needs to be a balance. However, I don't think that we have lost a contributor over this.

--Hardy