[hibernate-dev] Checkstyle: enforced!

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Thu Apr 18 10:48:30 EDT 2013

Hi all,

yesterday we merged checkstyle integration in Hibernate OGM: it's
going to fail the compile phase if there are violations (!).

By doing so, we also had to re-style a large portion of code, as
surprisingly even though I though we where very careful on style and
whitespace inspections, human eye is still far behind the power of
such a tool. Sorry for the conflicts this caused: we hope it's a
smaller price to pay compared to the long term benefits.

I realize this might look very inconvenient initially to have it fail
during some quick experimental hacking, but the purpose is to
encourage applying the correct autoformatting styles in your IDE: it
should not annoy you once you get use to obey the rules.

The purpose is to reduce the back-and-forth discussions for which pull
requests have been delayed for style reasons, not using tabs for
indent, missing/wrong copyright headers...
also it should reduce conflicts in the future.

This definitely will look annoying initially, but please try surviging
the initial push back and fix your style.
If it still is annoying in the long run we can discuss relaxing the
rules or demoting it from a compile failure to some warning levels. If
things don't look too bad (i.e. I don't get enough complaints) I will
soon send a pull request for Search too, and I hope other projects
will follow.

Cheers,