[hibernate-dev] OGM: CheckStyle and imports due to JavaDoc comments

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Thu Aug 1 05:53:05 EDT 2013

On 1 August 2013 10:41, Hardy Ferentschik <hardy at hibernate.org> wrote:
[...]
> So why not be safe than sorry?
>
> --Hardy

That's my same point, I just want to broaden the healthcheck, and am
showing you other practical benefits from it, which happen IMHO to
also have less annoying checks as a side effect, but that doesn't
lessen the safety of my proposal.

Enforcing this rule on javadocs prevents a very very unlikely case of
being an actual problem as it address a subset of the problematic
cases.
We have far worse problems when the import is actually being used, and
I'm proposing a clean solution for that, which makes this rule
redundant. Since it also happens to be inconvenient, I'd rather go for
the clean solution ;-)

I didn't talk about Shade; look at what I did in Infinispan to build a
single module depending on Lucene4 and Lucene3 at the same time (which
is impossible in Maven):

https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/blob/master/lucene/lucene-directory/pom.xml

Production is fine with that, in fact this is already in products and
supported to customers.

Shade is more intrusive as it allows you to change the package names;
merging a zip file is trivial business.

BTW I'm not recommending this strategy as a general solution. Just
saying that there are much better - cleaner and safer - solutions to
safebelt the optional import if you really care.

Cheers,