[hibernate-dev] Putting a new release of JPA modelgen into shape?

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Tue Aug 6 12:38:21 EDT 2013

On 6 Jan 2013, at 6:09 PM, Guillaume Smet <guillaume.smet at gmail.com> wrote:

> I took a look at the current 1.3.0 roadmap:
> https://hibernate.atlassian.net/browse/METAGEN-89?jql=project%20%3D%20METAGEN%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20%221.3.0.Final%22%20AND%20status%20%3D%20Open%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC

Awesome. I moved some issues into 1.3.0 knowing they won't make it, especially since some of them
are questionable and I wanted to discuss them first. See below

> I think we should move to .Next:
> - METAGEN-72 - Generate attributes for @Transient columns : it might
> be nice to have but it's definitely not something required (there are
> a lot of other binding generators out there like bindgen)

I am not even sure if we should do this at all. Should the static metamodel really contain transient properties?
The meta model is primarily there to write type safe criteria queries and you cannot target transient fields there.
So I am actually tempted to reject this one.

> - METAGEN-46 - Add ability to specify a desired package : definitely accessory

Right. Personally I don't see even a point in this. Happy to move this one

> - METAGEN-89 - generated model misses <T> : if really wanted, I think
> it probably requires more work than reasonable for 1.3.0

This is another one, I am not even sure about whether it would be correct. I need to think more about this one.
If you see any value in iet me know :-)

Personally I started looking at METAGEN-92. It proves more complicated than expected, since the xsd namespace
has changed between JAP 2.0 and 2.1. We will need to add some XML magic there.

Gunnar is looking at the OS based test failures. Basically the code was dependent on the order classes got processed
which could vary depending on the OS.

If you want to help out feel free to look at remaining issues, for example METAGEN-86 (even so we need to first assess
whether we can fix that for this release).

Thanks for your help.

--Hardy