[hibernate-dev] Feature for handling getNextValue work in same transaction.

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Sun Aug 11 21:51:37 EDT 2013

First, you lump sequences and table-based sequence together here, but I
assure you sequences (real database sequences) are read inline with the
current transaction.  In the case of a real sequence, the database
already handles the isolation of the generated values outside
transactional context.  When you ask the database sequence for its next
value, that value is incremented regardless of the outcome of the
transaction.

That is to say, your example "sequence of calls" is indicative of table
based generation, not at all true of sequence based generation.  For the
table based generation case, I am leery of doing this for a few
reasons.  First, as Sanne points out, our "sequence table" strategy is
purely meant to mimic a database sequence in terms of semantic in cases
where a sequence cannot be used.

Secondly, you request this (I believe) as a performance enhancement as a
means to work around your particular use-case which I think we can all
agree is *at best* a questionable real-life scenario.  The problem with
the performance aspect is that you are trading one type of performance
concern (resource allocation) for another (blocking).  That is to say,
currently you have a performance problem because accessing the database
value causes multiple discrete transactions.  But what you suggest
instead is to trade off the isolation with blocking *in the same
frequency*.  To illustrate, lets take a (simplified) look at 2
transactions attempting to generate an identifier from the same
"sequence table":

T1 - begin
T2 - begin
T1 - select val from seq_table for update
T2 - select val from seq_table for update
T1 - update seq_table set val = ? where val = ?
T2 - update seq_table set val = ? where val = ?
T1 - insert into my_entity ...
T2 - insert into my_entity ...
T1 - commit
T2 - commit

We can notice a few different things here.  In the *best* case scenario,
T1 simply blocks T2 meaning that T1 and T2 are no longer concurrent.  T1
must completely finish before T2 will be allowed to proceed; T2 will
block either on the `select for update` or on the `update`,
depending...  Yes, using separate transactions for reading the "sequence
table" value still does blocking, the difference is one of scope and
therefore duration.

Seems to me, if I were you, I'd be more interested in minimizing the
number of times the database is called regardless of what happens when
the database is called...