[hibernate-dev] [Parser] Prefixes used for log messages

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Tue Aug 27 05:33:50 EDT 2013

Hi all,

Emmanuel and I are wondering which prefix should be used for log messages
created by the parser component ("project code" in JBoss logging
nomenclature).

I can see the following possibilities:

1) Use HHH-... as in ORM, using a reserved interval of ids
2) Use a new prefix such as HQLPARSER in all messages of all parser
components (currently hqlparser-core and hqlparser-lucene), using a
reserved id interval for each such component
3) Use a specific prefix for each parser component, e.g. HQLPARSER, HQLLUCN
etc.

I think 3) is the simplest from a dev perspective (no ranges to consider),
but it may cause a proliferation of prefixes, possibly confusing users. 1)
may be irritating when using the parser in alternative contexts such as
ISPN. As an indicator, I feel it makes sense to use different prefixes for
code bases living in different repos and with independent release cycle (as
is the case with ORM and the parser). So I'd vote for 2.

Any thoughts?

--Gunnar