[hibernate-dev] JDK8 build jobs!

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Wed Dec 18 08:02:11 EST 2013

I've installed a preview build of JDK8 on ci.hibernate.org, and
created jobs for:
 - ORM
 - OGM

Gunnar is adding Validator.

There are some exceptions that we should investigate; one of them is
Animal Sniffer breaks.
I've debugged it and came to the conclusion it doesn't work because it
uses ASM to actually inspect the bytecode, and it should use ASM 5 to
be able to parse the bytecode produced by the Java8 build.

Ideally we should build with Java7 (since we'll be releasing with
Java7) and then run the tests only with Java8, but having concluded
that it's not a JDK8 regression but simply a limitation of the plugin
being outdated, I've opted for running these builds with:

-Danimal.sniffer.skip=true

We should look at the other failures now: we could implement
workarounds in our code, but it's of higher value to identify
potential regressions in the JDK and report these quickly: that would
allow people to move on to Java8 even when they are stuck with an
older release of our libraries.

Cheers,