[hibernate-dev] Code style and whitespaces

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Wed Jul 3 05:07:11 EDT 2013

Looking at the following patch:

}
-    catch (IllegalArgumentException e) {
+    catch ( IllegalArgumentException e ) {

would you consider it an improvement in terms of consistency with the
Hibernate style?

It has always been my interpretation that we use whitespaces inside
blocks, like:

if ( condition)
//rather than
if (condition)

but we don't for constructor invocations:

new Wrapper(type, param);
//rather than
new Wrapper( type, param );

and we also do not (usually) for catch.

I know that might sound like inconsistent, but the point is
readability: I've got used to it and I could swear that the *different
treating* helps with eyeball code scanning.. but I realize that could
be a very personal opinion.

So since we're encoding this rule now in checkstyle, which one shall
it be for the catch statements?

My guts vote goes to

}
catch (IllegalArgumentException e) {

but I'd prefer to follow the convention from ORM, if you guys have a
clear rule :-)

Cheers,