[hibernate-dev] Code style and whitespaces

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Wed Jul 3 08:51:58 EDT 2013

2013/7/3 Steve Ebersole <steve at hibernate.org>

> The "original" rule was that parens should always be separated by spaces.
> E.g.:
>
> if (isTrue ()) { ... }
>
> Is clearly fugly.
>
> if ( isTrue () ) { ... }
>
> To me is clearly more readable.
>
> Method/constructor declarations do not use spaces inside parens simply
> because the arguments list cannot contain parens.  Same for exception
> catching btw..

Ah, I see. This reasoning makes sense, but IMO the rule is not really
apparent, I guess one just needs to know it. I don't really mind either
way, but at least method invocations and constructor invocations should be
handled consistently (i.e. both with white space following the reasoning
above).

> On Jul 3, 2013 7:31 AM, "Gunnar Morling" <gunnar at hibernate.org> wrote:
>
>> I'm voting for having white spaces in catch as well as constructor
>> invocations, the reason being to ensure a consistent style with method
>> invocations, if, while etc. I don't see an advantage in having white space
>> in some of these constructs but not in others.
>>

>> 2013/7/3 Steve Ebersole <steve at hibernate.org>
>>
>>> There is a mix in ORM as well.  My vote is for no spaces inside the
>>> parens
>>> for catch statements.  I do like the spaces for if, for, while, etc