[hibernate-dev] Marking API members as incubating

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Thu Jul 11 06:30:56 EDT 2013

2013/7/11 Hardy Ferentschik <hardy at hibernate.org>

> On 10 Jan 2013, at 11:07 PM, Gunnar Morling <gunnar at hibernate.org> wrote:
>
> > 2013/7/10 Steve Ebersole <steve at hibernate.org>
> >
> >> http://www.gradle.org/docs/current/userguide/feature_lifecycle.html
> >

> > Thanks for the link. I like their approach of explicitly documenting this
> > kind of thing.
>
> I think we might have to differentiate here. I also like the clear
> documentation of Gradle,
> but having an @Incubating annotation is imo not a requirement for that. We
> could create
> something similar on our wiki or include into our online docs. It could
> mention Experimental
> javadoc in our case.

As a user, I personally prefer to get as much context-relevant information
and documentation as possible directly from within my IDE instead from
other sources of documentation.

I think hovering over a method I want to use in my IDE and seeing it is
annotated with @Incubating gives me that information much faster than going
to a wiki or online docs. The latter also doesn't give me the possibility
for tool-based access to this information.

Are there any specific issues you see about using an annotation?

--Hardy