[hibernate-dev] Hibernate Search Metadata API: Numeric and other special Field types in Hibernate Search

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Tue Jul 16 05:18:44 EDT 2013

To give some more context. The split of FieldSettingsDescriptor and FieldDescriptor is driven by the
discussion we had regarding HSEARCH-904 and the extension of the bridge interface, allowing it
to report the fields it creates. Custom bridges need to create or at least provide the information for the
metadata. The idea is that they can create FieldSettingsDescriptors. The reasons of the split if that
some information a bridge does not have access to, so it cannot and should not create it.

Regarding FieldDescriptor#Type, my gut feeling is also that we should get rid of
FieldSettingsDescriptor#isNumeric and create instead FieldDescriptor#Type.NUMERIC. This also
implies though that the Type enum and its getter should move into FieldSettingsDescriptor as well.
I guess that makes sense.

The one thing I am wondering about is, is whether we we are not starting to mix different type concepts.
Type.ID is not really a Lucene specific field encoding. It just says that this field has a special meaning for
Hibernate Search, as it is the unique document id. NUMERIC, however, is a type of Lucene encoding and
maybe there will be more. In this context, I was ordering whether SPATIAL should be another enum type.
Initially I also thought that the Type enum could be used as well to express the opaqueness idea Emmanuel
mentioned. An emum type of OPAQUE would then mean that this field gets generated by the bridge, but is
opaque to the application/user. Something like this would for sure overload the current meaning of the Type enum.

So maybe we need multiple enum types, but that of course increases the complexity of the API and
already the FieldSettingsDescriptor and FieldDescriptor split is on a first glance hard to understand.

Leaves the problem of additional properties based on a specific field type, e.g. precisionStep.
I go with Gunnar and Emmanuel on this one preferring the unwrapping approach. The question is just
wether we want to do it already now. How likely is it that we get other types?

To sum up, here is what I think we need to decide on.

Regarding isNumeric
1) Move  FieldDescriptor#Type into FieldSettingsDescriptor and add a NUMERIC type (leaving us with ID, BASIC, NUMERIC)
2) Create a new enum (called Type or maybe better Encoding) and have NUMERIC hosted there, together with BASIC ;-)

Regarding precisionsStep
1) Leave it as is under the assumption that there won't be many (if any) new type/encoding specific properties
2) Create FieldSettingsDescriptor subtypes like NumericFieldSettingsDescriptor and use the unwrap approach to
host additional properties.

Thoughts?

--Hardy