[hibernate-dev] [jdf-dev] JBoss Modules dependency vs pain POM dependency + exclusions

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Fri Jun 7 11:12:27 EDT 2013

Again, late to the party, but I agree with Emmanuel. Modules is imo to AS specific in order to encourage it
as a default/referred configuration approach. I see it more as an expert mode to configure your app server.

And is not also dangerous to fiddle too much with the modules? Adding new modules might be ok, but often
you end up updating others as well (talking EL and Bean Validation) and there you don't know whether you
break another subsystem.

Also it adds additional constrains when deploying the app server and app. It is not just about dropping in a ear/war
anymore, suddenly I have to "patch" my app server first.

On 6 Jan 2013, at 5:41 PM, Emmanuel Bernard <emmanuel at hibernate.org> wrote:

> As I explain in the email I forwarded, modules are good on paper but
> suffer from a few practical problems:
>
> I need to manually install them on my deployed server instead of just
> handing over the JAR.

Exactly

> Of course modules are JBoss specific so it's a pain to make my
> application portable across several app servers.

+1

IMO we should be able to deploy an Search application with Search, ORM et al all bundled up and it should just work.

--Hardy