[hibernate-dev] [hsearch] JSON version of Hibernate Search query

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Thu Jun 13 08:11:31 EDT 2013

2013/6/13 Hardy Ferentschik <hardy at hibernate.org>

> On 13 Jan 2013, at 8:47 AM, Gunnar Morling <gunnar at hibernate.org> wrote:
>
> > Would creating a "real" query language instead of a serialized object
> > representation make sense then?
>
> You mean the Lucene query language -
> http://lucene.apache.org/core/old_versioned_docs/versions/3_4_0/queryparsersyntax.html;-)
> In the end it comes down to that.

Maybe, if that has everything needed, why not? Or is a goal to hide the
fact that Lucene is used underneath?

> What would the purpose of a new query language be? I guess it would be
> more object centric, but is this relevant for a user?

What's the purpose of the JSON notation? I think for a user its nicer to
express a query in a dedicated query language instead of a general-purpose
object serialization format. As it is nicer for a human to express queries
in say HQL or SQL instead of describing e.g. a "HQL object" in JSON or XML.
If this is going to be used by application code, it probably doesn't make a
big difference.

I guess I just don't yet really understand what's the use case behind.