[hibernate-dev] [hsearch] JSON version of Hibernate Search query

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Fri Jun 14 02:41:28 EDT 2013

On Thu 2013-06-13 21:33, Hardy Ferentschik wrote:

> >> Right, that's what I am also trying to see/find.
> >
> > Sorry, I got confused by your question initially. The query language is not for an
> > end-user, it is for developers or machines.
>
> So why would a developer use it? One point of the DSL was to have type safe queries and now we want
> him to write JSON strings? Also, what is the result of the query? Entities in JSON format?
>
> I just don't see when a developer would like to use this query format. Maybe for prototyping or ad hoc experimenting
> with some queries. How much easier is that, however, compared to a simple unit test?

In this case, that would be an alternative query language supported by
Infinispan over HotRod.

> > JSON here was used as an example of serializable format. The problem I
> > was trying to address is to serialize the query in a platform agnostic
> > way.
>
> Why not use Avro again? That's how we serialise the Work instances. Why now introduce JSON?

Sure it could be Avro. Though that makes it harder to open up a console
and write an ad-hoc query is Avro's binary format ;)
I did pick JSON as an example of an object representation serializable
as string and because I've worked on REST + JSON services recently.

Emmanuel