[hibernate-dev] [OGM] Embedded MongoDB for tests

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Thu Jun 27 09:23:21 EDT 2013

I heard good praises about this project, so it might be good, but I'd
be concerned that we're not testing the real thing.

This could be great to mock the db for some operations, but could it
replace all of them while providing us with the same level of
confidence ?

What will the gap be in release times to adapt to mock newer features?

Considering that installing a MongoDB installation takes seconds, I
don't see a big win in using it, while there is a potential list of
trouble.

Considering H2 has some options to have it mimick Oracle and MySQL,
would you use it to test the ORM dialect for these databases? I don't
think I'd trust that.

This project might be great for simpler cases but I think that
replacing the "real thing" in our case will provide for lower quality
releases; maybe we could have the best of two worlds by using profiles
and providing this as a fallback when MongoDB is not installed, in
which case on CI I would want to verify tests on both.

Sanne