[hibernate-dev] Some OGM ideas from feedback collected in India

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Fri May 17 09:32:50 EDT 2013

Some older notes I failed to share so far:

# unlike normal JPA we have to create an instance of
JBossTSStandaloneTransactionManager

It's a comment from a use who seems to had been studying OGM in depth
and even made a demo, I'm not entirely sure what she means exactly but
apparently the JPA binding doesn't integrate nicely within a container
as the "plain ORM" JPA would.

# Direct "Datasource" access from multiple apps

It is often needed to have multiple applications access the same
storage engine, and they might not necessarily all be using OGM. This
brings two design requirements:

- The encoding format of OGM needs to be flexible enough to map to
existing "schemas" created by different tools and well documented so
that other tools can be built using the encoding scheme used by OGM.

- Hibernate Search is updated by Hibernate events; this is a
limitation for "standard" Hibernate Search users which is mostly
interpreted as "avoid stored procedures & batch updates"; In the case
of standard Search users however we still expect the user to be able
to run reliable RDBMS queries as well, having the fulltext only for
the fulltext. I'm wondering if the OGM specific usage will need us to
explore better event notifications for Search, possibly integrating
with events generated by the data storage layer itself.