[hibernate-dev] ServiceRegistries and OSGi

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Wed May 22 15:51:39 EDT 2013

Now that OSGi support is in place and we know it is being used, I am
curious whether the concept of ServiceRegistry helped or hindered in
that process?

One of the major reasons to define such a ServiceRegistry was the idea
that it would help porting Hibernate into other containers and other
runtimes, not just traditonal JSE/JEE environments. Specifically OSGi
was one of the things considered, although in a very generic sense back
then.  So part  of the reason I ask is that I wonder how successful we
were in that, first; and then, in areas we can get better, how?

Now is a great time to review that as we get ready to start making a
push towards 5.0 after 4.3 (JPA 2.1 support) gets stabilized...