[hibernate-dev] HSEARCH-1270 : indexing (still) happening after Session#clear()

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Tue Oct 1 10:41:00 EDT 2013

On 30 Jan 2013, at 11:00 PM, Sanne Grinovero <sanne at hibernate.org> wrote:

> I'm having a half-baked solution for HSEARCH-1270, and it looks like I
> can't do better than that without waiting for HHH-8577 to be included
> in ORM [JIRA links at the bottom].

Can you make a use case example. Clearing the queue makes only sense in the
case where the indexing API is used, right?

> # The problem described by HSEARCH-1270
> After the user has enqueued some indexing operations in Hibernate
> Search's Worker, if he then invokes Session.clear() the queue is not
> cleared.

Not sure I would expect that Session.clear has in impact on the manually queued
indexing objects.

> #What now
> Considering that we can't do better than that - at least without
> patching ORM with HHH-8577 - would you still merge such a patch?

No. I am not yet convinced that Session.clear should have the semantics you are
implying.

> Another approach to the problem could be to provide an explicit
>
>   FullTextSession#clearIndexingQueue()

I think that is the better solution.

> I think I'd like that, especially as it can be useful in other
> situations, for example to avoid triggering any indexing operation for
> a specific transaction.
> Also, it would be a good companion for
>
>   FullTextSession#flushToIndexes()

+1