[hibernate-dev] [Validator] Applying constraints to property objects

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Wed Sep 4 03:05:53 EDT 2013

On Wed 2013-09-04  8:27, Gunnar Morling wrote:
> 2013/9/3 Emmanuel Bernard <emmanuel at hibernate.org>
>
> > Something like c makes sense.
> >

> Ok.
>

> > It similar to the notion of converter in JPA.
> >
> > But why not the following style of interfaces
> >
> >     interface Convert<From,To> {
> >         To convert(From);
> >     }
> >

> Yes, thinking more about it, it probably makes sense to support multiple
> converters, e.g. in case someone works with UIInput and *Property in the
> same application. Then the "From" parameter makes sense to avoid casts
> within the converter implementation. Need to experiment with it a bit.

More than just the cast in the impl, its a way to statically know that
you have a converter that takes From and only From, so you can restrict
the list of converters to consider to 0 or 1 all the time (assuming we
don't support multiple converters of the same From.

> Regarding the name, I find "Converter" a bit too generic, in particular
> since it needs not only to convert the actual property value but also the
> static type so you can reject this (because @Size can't be applied to
> Object):

Not sure I follow, before the core HV work, it converts a property or
class from From to To and from there you are good to go.

Are you saying that if From = UIInput<String> we would not be able to
separate it from UIInput<Object> statically? I *think* we can, just like
we do for collections in JPA.