[hibernate-dev] Some thoughts on possible Binder changes

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Sat Apr 12 12:56:34 EDT 2014

The Background

Binder deals with dependencies between things.  An Entity cannot be fully
bound until its attributes and identifier are fully bound.  An Embeddable
cannot be fully bound until its sub-attributes are fully bound.  One Entity
might depend on another by nature of a "key many to one" or a "one to one"
or a "mappedBy" or...  In short, there is a lot of dependency to the order
things must be bound.

Some of these dependencies are *a priori* in nature.  Basic attributes
should be bound before embedded and associations.  Attributes for a
Entity/Embeddable need to be fully bound before the Entity/Embeddable can
be considered complete.  The Binder tries to handle these *a priori
*dependencies
simply by the order in which it processes things internally.  This works
reasonably well.

The other dependencies are *a posteriori *in nature, in that we cannot
fully understand them in terms of ordering until we get into the processing
of the data.  This includes "key many to one" or a "one to one" or a
"mappedBy" examples from above.

Turns out that binding of Entity and Embeddable are both functionally *a
posteriori* as well because of the fact that we first create those bindings
(as a shell if you will) and add the bindings for their attributes, etc
after the fact.  So we can't understand that either are fully resolved
until after the fact.  Not a huge deal, just pointing it out.

The Use Case

I have been working on completing identifier handling, especially in the
case of composite ids.  As more "background" to where my thoughts came
from, let me walk y'all through how Binder currently deals with this stuff.
 As I mentioned above, as part of its *a posteriori* handling, Binder
attempts to cycle through attributes based on their nature:

   1. Process composites
   2. Process simple/basic attributes
   3. Process many-to-one
   4. Process one-to-one
   5. Process many-to-one (mappedBy)
   6. Process one-to-one (mappedBy)
   7. Process plural attributes
   8. Process plural attributes (mappedBy)

In terms of dealing with composite ids, step (1) really just means creating
the Embeddable "shells" (the EmbeddableBinding instance).  But at this
point the EmbeddableBinding is not done, we still need its attributes
"resolved" or "bound".  To accomplish this, as Binder walks through the
rest of the steps, it continually checks whether the completion of the
attribute it just bound completes the binding of the Embeddable.  So as it
is looping over every attribute, for each attribute it loops over every
known incomplete EmbeddableBinding and checks whether that attribute
"completes" the EmbeddableBinding and if so finalizes it's binding.

First thing I noticed is that that is a lot of looping (within looping).
 While I am sure that has some performance impact, that is not really my
concern.  My concern was more the non-definitive state of things being
resolved.  Coming back to the EmbeddableBinding as a composite id... quite
a few of those steps rely on the id of an entity being fully resolved.

Events

Which got me to thinking about using events to signal the completion of
things, and the ability to listen for these events.  Don't worry, I mean
events here as fairly light weight concept :)

Essentially the idea is to have producers and listeners and to have Binder
act as the bus.  So let me apply this to the composite id case above as an
example.  So we'd still have an initial step that creates the
EmbeddableBinding instances.  It would use a EmbeddableBindingCreator
delegate (I was already in the process of breaking up the 4K line Binder
class to use some delegation) to do the EmbeddableBinding creation.
 EmbeddableBindingCreator would also implement the "listener" contract for
AttributeBinding completion; as attributes are completed, if they are part
of an EmbeddableBinding we "check them off" and when an EmbeddableBinding
has no more unresolved sub-attributes we would finalize the
EmbeddableBinding.  Here, EmbeddableBindingCreator would also play a
"producer" role; when the EmbeddableBinding is finalized, it would notify
the bus of that.  And then registered listeners for that event could react.

Consider a nested composite (Embedded w/in an Embeddable):

@Entity
class Person {
  @Embedded Address address;
}

@Embeddable
class Address {
  @Embedded Zip zip;
}

@Embeddable
class Zip {
  ..
  String code;
  String plus4;
}

The initial step has EmbeddableBindingCreator create the
EmbeddableBinding(Person#address)
and the EmbeddableBinding(Person#address#zip).  Additionally,
EmbeddableBindingCreator registers the sub-attribute roles making up each
EmbeddableBinding and keeps track of them (the "unresolved ones").

The second step processes basic attributes (note to self, ideally we should
make sure the nested simple attributes are ordered first here):
1) Say first we'd process Person#address#zip#code; we finalize it and fire
off the "attribute bound" event which EmbeddableBindingCreator gets
notified of.  EmbeddableBindingCreator removes the Person#address#zip#code
attribute role from the unresolved attributes for
EmbeddableBinding(Person#address#zip).  However, we see there is still more
unresolved sub-attributes, so nothing more to do.
2) Then we process Person#address#zip#plus4, finalize it and fire off the
"attribute bound" event which EmbeddableBindingCreator gets notified of.
 EmbeddableBindingCreator removes the Person#address#zip#plus4 attribute
role from the unresolved attributes for
EmbeddableBinding(Person#address#zip).  Now it sees that all of the
sub-attributes for EmbeddableBinding(Person#address#zip) are resolved, and
so finalizes EmbeddableBinding(Person#address#zip), firing off its own
event that the embeddable was finalized.

That event routes back to Binder, which directs it back to a listener for
the Person#address attribute (which was registered as waiting on the
EmbeddableBinding(Person#address#zip) as one of its attribute types).  We
finalize that attribute, and fire its completion event which again
EmbeddableBindingCreator gets notified of... And so on

FYI, the finalization aspect is important because it signals when we are
able to resolve the Hibernate Type for things that refer to these.

Concerns

There are some concerns with such an approach.  Here are the ones I had.
 Maybe y'all have others?

First, there is the general pros/cons of sequential processing versus
event-driven processing.  Some folks view event-driven processing as more
convoluted, harder to follow.

Another concern is cases where a "bi-directional dependency" exists, which
might lead to an indefinite wait.  I do think adding some "finish" up step
at the end of the initial 1-8 steps is important where each
listener/producer is able to report things it is still waiting on.

Anyway... thoughts? comments?