[hibernate-dev] Some thoughts on possible Binder changes

Gail Badner gbadner at redhat.com
Mon Apr 14 16:55:02 EDT 2014

Also inline...

----- Original Message -----

Yes, this is what it does. I agree there are better ways to deal with it. I thought the priority was to get functionality working ASAP. It was the easiest way to get it working at the time, and I figured we'd refine after the alpha.

> > What do you mean by "completes". How do you know that the
> > EmbeddableBinding is complete.
> >

> For embeddables, this boils down to its sub-attributes being fully bound.
> Ultimately we need to be able to generate the Hibernate Type.  So looking
> at my example below, ultimately what we care about in regards to
> Person#address is the resolved Type for that attribute.
>
> So here, "completes" is the verb form; the idea being simply.. was the
> attribute we just finished processing the last unresolved sub-attribute for
> a embeddable; did it "complete" the embeddable in terms of all its
> sub-attributes now being done.
>
> As for how we know that, that depends.  In the existing Binder code we
> literally iterate the attributes making up the embeddable and see if the
> Type for all those sub-attributes has been resolved.
>  See
>  org.hibernate.metamodel.internal.binder.Binder#completeCompositeAttributeBindingIfPossible
> for the current process.
>
> I am suggesting this change to use events as outlined below.
>

> > > Which got me to thinking about using events to signal the completion of
> > > things, and the ability to listen for these events.  Don't worry, I mean
> > > events here as fairly light weight concept :)
> >
> > For what it's worth, Strong had once the same idea. Instead of rechecking
> > and looping he also wanted to
> > introduce some sort of event based processing. I thought the idea sounded
> > promising.
> > I am not sure how far he got or whether he even started. I think this was
> > not long before metamodel was put on
> > ice fore a while.
> >

> To be honest, I had the same suggestion for HBMBinder as well even back in
> the day to get out of second passes.  I think its a somewhat natural
> paradigm for the type of problem domain here.

I also remember Strong mentioning an events approach, but I think it was after embeddables were already working.

> > > First, there is the general pros/cons of sequential processing versus
> > > event-driven processing.  Some folks view event-driven processing as more
> > > convoluted, harder to follow.
> >
> > It can not get much worse than following the 4k Binder as it stands now.
> > Event based processing
> > can sometimes be tricky. Maybe it would help in this case to document the
> > approach and
> > algorithm and the main actors. Either in the javadocs or maybe even better
> > in an topical guide (more
> > dev centric in this case).
> >

> True with the "it can't get much worse" aspect.  I think sequential
> processing is fine/great if the thing you are doing is relatively simple.
>  I think its safe to say that this is not simple :)
>

> > > Anyway... thoughts? comments?
> >
> > For me it is also a question of time and resources. I agree that cleaning
> > up the binding code would be
> > awesome, but on the other hand I thought most of the details for binding
> > the new metamodel had been
> > sorted out by now. Is it worth rewriting now. On the other hand, if there
> > are real issues with the code
> > it might be worth the try.

I had also assumed that breaking up the Binder would be post-alpha.

> I think "cleaning up" and "paradigm shift" are different beasts.  Yes
> cleaning up can be done any time (even later) relatively easily.
>  Completely shifting the underlying principles by which you attack a
> problem is altogether different in my mind; I think the approach is best
> ironed out from the onset.
>
> That being said, a lot of the actual functionality is already in place.
>  Its just a matter of organizing it slightly differently in most cases.

I agree a paradigm shift is best as soon in the process as possible.

I would say that most things do work. Strong and I kept track of what was left by maintaining this document: https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-orm/wiki/Failing-metamodel-tests . Steve, are you keeping this up-to-date?