[hibernate-dev] Jandex, scanning and discovery

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Mon Apr 28 11:20:31 EDT 2014

Almost done with this.  We are much more aggressive about indexing stuff
into Jandex now (which is a good thing) when we are not handed a Jandex

However, this does mean we need to be more careful in the case of JPA and
exclude-non-listed-classes.  ATM we drive annotations based on Jandex (aka,
the classes known to Jandex).  However, if we know index classes that
should not be used as entities, etc (because of exclude-non-listed-classes)
we are breaking the JPA spec.  To this end, I suggest that scanning:
1) Index everything
2) Keep a running tab of "allowable managed classes and packages".

Later, when beginning interpretation of annotations (via Jandex) we can
cross-reference that with the list of allowable managed classes.  Currently
we do:

for ( ClassInfo classInfo :
bindingContext.getJandexAccess().getIndex().getKnownClasses() ) {
    // use them all...
}

What I am suggesting is:

interface ManagedClassFilter {
    public boolean allowAsManagedClass(ClassInfo classInfo);
}

for ( ClassInfo classInfo :
bindingContext.getJandexAccess().getIndex().getKnownClasses() ) {
    if ( !managedClassFiler.allowAsManagedClass( classInfo ) ) {
        continue;
    }
}

Further, rather than maintaining potentially large lists of allowable class
and package names, I'd also suggest we recognize the cases when we have
open-ended discovery in play and simply use an "all inclusive" strategy.