[hibernate-dev] Compatibility Considerations wiki

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Thu Aug 28 02:30:18 EDT 2014

> You have to admit that moving everything (again in this singular example)
> from org.hibernate.persister to a whole package would be extremely
> disruptive to OGM, et al.  Yes?

Yes, it would be disruptive. As said though, I personally would not not be
that annoyed about a package re-organization as it something I can quite
easily adapt to. Changed semantics of an API/SPI which require me to
actually re-program large parts of my application/integration would be more
scary.

Generally I think users (or integrators) are understanding about
incompatible changes in a major release, if there is a significant value to
these changes and they are not done for the fun of it. So it really boils
down to your question below whether we deem an api/spi/internal structure
worth it or not.

> So yes, making these changes is allowable under the rules laid out.  But
> that does not mean we run out ad try to screw over integrations :)  We
> still strive to maintain compatibility for SPIs as well as APIs.

Ok, that's good. The "But that is in no way by design; it just means that
it worked by happenstance" from before had me scared a bit :)

>  I think the relative question here is whether breaking these into
> api/spi/internal package structure (for OSGi, intention documentation
> purposes) alone warrants completely breaking compatibility with all
> integrations.  I'd tend to vote no.

I understand and I'd tend to agree for SPIs.

My point was more about parts considered internal where I don't see why
they couldn't be moved, because backwards-compatibility shouldn't be
relevant there. To sum it up, I'd be concerned about using annotations
(rather than packages) for marking parts as internal due to the reasons
outlined before, whereas using annotations for marking parts as SPI may be
a good middle-ground.

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 1:20 AM, Gunnar Morling <gunnar at hibernate.org>