[hibernate-dev] [Search] DisjunctionMaxQuery and MoreLikeThis

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Fri Feb 21 03:37:17 EST 2014

On 21 Feb 2014, at 01:15, Sanne Grinovero <sanne at hibernate.org> wrote:

> I still suspect that a DisMax approach would provide a better scoring
> model but this is an implementation detail we should iterate on at a
> second phase.
> Essentially taking the example of "albino elephants" I agree on the
> behaviour you described but I think there are some additional aspects
> to consider when you're evaluating how a partial match "albino" scores
> against a full match "albino elephant" in a single field, rather than
> split up, or how "albino" could score less in field A rather than
> field B, so even swapping positions of termson different fields could
> provide a less valuable match.
> Probably better explained with an example on a larger data set but
> alas I won't be able to craft one soon.. still it's not a blocker at
> all as in this first phase I think we should 1) have a working
> solution 2) focus on API effectiveness. Performance and a sofisticated
> scoring system will necessarily have to follow: I'm unpacking a large
> data set to play with, I'm pretty sure we'll have plenty of follow up
> improvements.

If I managed to decipher you, you think that applying a dismax query at the top of MLT (ie the junction between each graph of queries related to each field) would be useful to favor a field that gets a better score and downplay an average ressemblance over several fields?
It is much to anticipate that now (that we would need a boolean / dismax work) because it does impact the context sequence of the DSL at least when the addition is complex.