[hibernate-dev] Hibernate Search 5: heavy refactoring in progress!

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Fri Jan 3 10:57:08 EST 2014

Hi all,
I'm heavily committing on my Lucene 4 branch.

It doesn't compile yet, and many commits are "temporary scaffolding"
designed to be removed at further rebase phases, so I'm NOT advising
to fork it unless you want to have a look. Comments are very welcome
of course :-)

Also, I'm trying to iterate on previous changes while my knowledge in
the new Lucene internals improves, so I'm reviewing and rewriting my
history several times each day.

This is my current strategy:
I'm favoring quick and simple changes - when possible - to get it all
to a phase in which it can compile successfully.
I need it quick so to minimize the time
 - in which I don't have tests feedback
 - in which collaboration with other volunteers is harder

Therefore I'm adding quite some TODO and FIXME notes, rather than
opening JIRAs: my plan is to resolve all TODOs before my branch is in
decent enough shape for a pull request, or for those tasks that
conflict with the "minimal time" requirement will be converted in
JIRAs.

Among other significant changes in Lucene4, many packages have been
renamed. For these, I'm crafting the patches as a form of living
document of required changes, that could be helpfull for compiling a
migration guide for our users; see for example the commit comment at:
https://github.com/Sanne/hibernate-search/commit/036539ad432f24e47128d0a6a7aeafae350fa96c

I'm primarily working on the -engine module, so that as soon as this
one is looking good enough we can parallelize refactoring on dependent
modules. Note that Infinispan 6.0 already supports Lucene 4, so
getting "engine" converted is the only dependency to unlock work on
all other modules.

https://github.com/Sanne/hibernate-search/compare/evolveLucene4

- Sanne