[hibernate-dev] Mass indexer and lazy initialization exceptions S03E04

Guillaume Smet guillaume.smet at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 08:13:26 EST 2014

Hi Sanne,

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 1:43 PM, Sanne Grinovero <sanne at hibernate.org> wrote:
> As far as I remember, you and your team reported (and helped fixing!)
> a depressingly long list of issues since approximately the migration
> to Hibernate ORM 4 of your applications (adopting AFAIR early betas of
> Search 4.2 at the time - thanks JIRA for the records).
> So that data point means to me that you are in the sweet spot
> intersection of the sets {people who reported issues} V {people who
> actually use a non trivial Domain model}, and in the current era it
> looks like we don't have many contributors matching your team on these
> qualities.

We started contributing before the 4.x era but, after taking a look at
the bugs we reported, I agree that the lazy initialization exceptions
series started with 4.x.

And AFAIR, I was quite surprised to find those bugs back then. I
thought it was because we were working on more complex projects but
you might be right about the fact that they were not present before.

> Why I'm sharing this data points?
> The MassIndexer code didn't change significantly since when it worked
> fine on my app, so I'm thinking now that we have been fixing the wrong
> project. Would you agree that it looks like related to how ORM changed
> some internal details of how proxies and lazy collections get
> re-attached to ORM?

That's what I thought this morning while poking this issue although my
thoughts were not as clear as yours. We installed workarounds in the
mass indexer for a lot of cases but our current problem isn't fixable
with a workaround AFAICS.

Maybe there's something wrong/missing in the way the mass indexer is
initializing the Hibernate session stuff or something we cannot do
with the new 4.x architecture.

Anyway, it might be a good idea to have the thoughts of an ORM guy about this.

This looks like long term work so if anyone has any idea on how we can
make our code work, it would be much appreciated.

--
Guilllaume