[hibernate-dev] Hibernate Search being integrated in WildFly

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Tue Jan 14 05:23:01 EST 2014

On 14 Jan 2014, at 00:06, Sanne Grinovero <sanne at hibernate.org> wrote:

> as you might already know by following the WildFly developer's mailing
> list, most of the Hibernate Search jars and dependencies (Lucene) are
> now included in the application server as modules.

Right. Still not sure whether this is such a great idea, but I guess it is too late.

> Just a couple of small adjustments are needed to make it possible for
> Hibernate users to also take advantage of it, so I'd think we should
> make these adjustments to make it more useful?
>
> This is what I'm thinking:
> - The hibernate-search-orm jar is missing (an essential jar for our purposes)
>   -> add a module

+1 Does this really need a separate module?

> - No additional analyzers are included
>   -> see how optional modules work, so that - while we won't ship all
> those dependencies - it's still easy to add when you need one

Is there some info about “optional” modules? I find information about modules
in general hard to find.

> - Jipijapa should help?
>   -> should we make Hibernate Search available to deployments
> whenever Hibernate ORM is made available?

Per default? So if there are no indexed entities nothing happens and if there are
Search gets automatically enabled? Is this what you are saying?

> - Get it to a reasonable version: it's including 4.5.0.Alpha2 now
>   -> we need to release a Beta soon, any volunteer? I'm stuck on an
> island with extremely slow connectivity.

I can do a release. Just wondering whether it should be a CR already?
The main point of 4.5 was to give us ORM 4.3 compatibility, right? AFAIK we already upgraded now
to 4.3.0.Final (just not released yet). So it would really be time to get 4.5.0.Final out.
We could cut a CR release and if nothing comes up promote it to 4.5 final in a couple of weeks.

> - Contribute some integration tests to WildFly: there aren't any
> today verifying the included modules

+1

> What shall we do about our modules distribution? I think it would be
> nice to continue maintaining that, so that we can make frequent
> releases and that would allow users to use a different version than
> what they would get in WildFly - if they want to.

Not sure.  The module won’t be a pure drop-in anymore. Now the module needs
to make sure that existing module(s) get properly “reconfigured”. What I mean is that
we might have to do more than extracting a tar ball. We might need to remove/change
existing files as well. Is it not easier to provide instructions on how to update the exiting modules?

Unfortunately, this comes at a non optimal point in time. Not only will it take time from the
Lucene 4 migration (aka Search 5), but if Search 4.x gets included now we probably will get very
quickly people asking on how to use Search 5 with Wildfly. If nothing else a lot of dependencies
change at this point. It won’t be a simple replace of a single jar.

Will/Can CapeDwarf and clustering also switch to Search 5 once we start making releases?

—Hardy