[hibernate-dev] Hibernate Search being integrated in WildFly

Scott Marlow smarlow at redhat.com
Tue Jan 14 09:46:46 EST 2014

I am a big fan of Hibernate technologies and the search capabilities.  I
am concerned though that we are deferring how to untangle the Hibernate
Search/Infinispan/WildFly dependencies.

I raised a few questions on the wildfly-dev mailing list, some that got
answered but one important issue didn't.  The question is about
scheduling and how to coordinate the WildFly/Hibernate ORM/Hibernate
Search/Infinispan releases such that if one component breaks the others
at the end of a release cycle, how to deal with that.  This isn't really
my problem as I don't schedule any of these components but it would be
wrong of me not to point this out.

Are there any infinispan-dev mailing list threads discussing how to
remove the Infinispan dependency on Hibernate Search in 2014, so that we
aren't forced into keeping Hibernate Search in WildFly 9?

On 01/13/2014 06:06 PM, Sanne Grinovero wrote:
> Hello,
> as you might already know by following the WildFly developer's mailing
> list, most of the Hibernate Search jars and dependencies (Lucene) are
> now included in the application server as modules.
>
> This was not primarily driven by practical need of Hibernate users but
> rather because of clustering needs of the application server, and also
> CapeDwarf and other projects make extensive use of it.
>
> Just a couple of small adjustments are needed to make it possible for
> Hibernate users to also take advantage of it, so I'd think we should
> make these adjustments to make it more useful?
>
> This is what I'm thinking:
>   - The hibernate-search-orm jar is missing (an essential jar for our purposes)
>     -> add a module
>   - No additional analyzers are included
>     -> see how optional modules work, so that - while we won't ship all
> those dependencies - it's still easy to add when you need one
>   - Jipijapa should help?

Jipijapa could help standardize how WildFly integrates with search
providers.  I'm not sure if this is needed.

>     -> should we make Hibernate Search available to deployments
> whenever Hibernate ORM is made available?

Would this slow deployment down at all for applications that don't use
Hibernate Search?