[hibernate-dev] Apache Lucene 4.9 is coming

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Fri Jun 20 09:04:05 EDT 2014

Hi all,
there is quite a list of changes:
http://people.apache.org/~rmuir/staging_area/lucene_solr_4_9_0_r1604085/lucene/changes/Changes.html#v4.9.0.changes_in_runtime_behavior

some are good and nice bugfixes, but there is yet again quite a list
of API / behaviour changes which affect us:

 - AttributeSource API
 - Directory API (requires Infinispan updates first)
 - MergePolicy API (we have our custom ones)
 - IndexWriter.delete methods changed
 - DocIdSet changed interface hierarchy
 - IndexWriterConfig no longer supports cloning, we'll need an
efficient factory to rebuild these
 - IOContext has been added to various methods as mandatory parameter

I'm overall not happy to see so many changes, but I believe we need to
keep up so my vote is to upgrade.

The best reason is a method drop in the Directory API, which is no
longer needed, and was making it very hard to squeeze reasonable
performance out of Infinispan. This method being gone now is very
welcome: it required us to do double-buffering to implement the
checksum functionality which was introduced in Lucene 4.8.