[hibernate-dev] ci.hibernate.org and network port assignment

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Mon Mar 17 17:10:54 EDT 2014

I've created WEBSITE-178 [1] as once again we had testsuites failing
because of a network port being used by a different job; bad luck, but
we can do better.

Assuming we want to use the Jenkins plugin "port allocator", this
would however need to be consistently honored by all builds we launch:
it passes variables which we should use, but it can't enforce them
AFAIK.

Is that going to be maintanable in the long run?

An alternative would be to consistently run each and every build in
its own isolated docker container, but
a) that's not something I can setup overnight
b) we'd need to use more complex build scripts, for example the nice
Maven and Gradle integrations with the Jenkins build configuration
would be unusable.

We're having quite a list of services; even ignoring the OGM exotic
databases we have at least:
 - Byteman
 - JGroups
 - Arquillian
 - WildFly
 - ActiveMQ (JMS tests in Search)
 - ... ?

To fight the urgent need, I'm going to prevent parallelism of any
build. Let's hope ORM's master doesn't get stuck, as everything else
would be blocked. I really hope this measure stays as temporary as
possible :-/

-- Sanne

1 - https://hibernate.atlassian.net/browse/WEBSITE-178
2 - https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Port+Allocator+Plugin