[hibernate-dev] [Search] OSGi split packages

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Wed Mar 26 15:52:30 EDT 2014

It's a though choice.

The classes in the ORM module are extremely widely used by our primary target:

- FullTextQuery
- FullTextSession

and two more lesser ones, but I think the 3 above are probably "THE
API". To move these out of the way we'd at least need to postpone the
OSGi work for after a Beta to include a deprecated version of these.
Or we keep them around in the backwards compatible module
"hibernate-search" ?
Doesn't seem like a piece of cake to be able to actually handle this
duplication in our implementation.

On the other option, in Engine we have:
- Environment (containing all the configuration constants)
- ProjectionConstants (more useful constants)
- SearchException
- SearchFactory (another strong case of public API)

Also to remember the changes in Engine also affect the HQL parser
(OGM) and Infinispan Query and its users; we can adapt for it but
ultimately that's our responsibility too, probably best to verify
early on to see the impact. Not really a reason to not do it, but it
has an impact on several other projects which we need to facilitate.

Now so far I've only tackled the "migration problem", but I guess the
goal should be to get to the best outcome in terms of what's more
sensible.

Emmanuel, could you elaborate of what you have in mind as "scalability reasons"?

I think I like Hardy's approach of moving from Engine better; not
least we can provide alternative deprecated constants in the ORM
module for ORM users to use as a migration help (Environment and
ProjectionConstants).

To reply on the more fine-grained details:

> org.hibernate.search.Environment        ->  org.hibernate.search.cfg.Environment

since it's API, WDYT of a fully fledged mouthfull
"org.hibernate.search.configuration.Environment"

> org.hibernate.search.SearchFactory     ->  org.hibernate.search.spi.SearchFactory

as Emmanuel said, that's an API currently. I'm inclined to think we
should convert it to an SPI, and provide a richer more ORM specific
version in the ORM module?
That way, we could keep the package name. It would break things for
Infinispan Query API but it seems that would happen anyway.

> org.hibernate.search.SearchException ->  org.hibernate.search.exception.SearchException

Maybe making the package plural? We should add variations for specific failures.

> org.hibernate.search.FullTextFilter        ->  org.hibernate.search.filter.FullTextFilter

"filtering" ? "filters" ?
Not too fond of the singular term as it's not very explicit (yes I
know it's an existing one).

> org.hibernate.search.Version                ->  org.hibernate.search.engine.Version

+1

Cheers,
Sanne