[hibernate-dev] [Search] OSGi split packages

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Thu Mar 27 06:18:14 EDT 2014

On 26 Mar 2014, at 20:52, Sanne Grinovero <sanne at hibernate.org> wrote:

> Emmanuel, could you elaborate of what you have in mind as "scalability reasons”?

Scale as in having more event provider sources (ORM, Infinispan, X, Y, Z). But we could accept that ORM has historical and privileged rights and will keep the root package.

>> org.hibernate.search.SearchFactory     ->  org.hibernate.search.spi.SearchFactory
>
> as Emmanuel said, that's an API currently. I'm inclined to think we
> should convert it to an SPI, and provide a richer more ORM specific
> version in the ORM module?
> That way, we could keep the package name. It would break things for
> Infinispan Query API but it seems that would happen anyway.

And each event source would need a SearchFactory subinterface + some delegator implementation? Is that your idea?
Because SearchFactory contains very useful cross event source methods like retrieving an analyzer, accessing Lucene directly and providing access to the query DSL.

That could work. I am a little concerned about documentation.

> "You can use SearchFactory but it’s InfinispanSearchFactory or OrmSearchFactory or… depending on what you use Hsearch for”

It will make documentation mix and reuse harder.