[hibernate-dev] [Search] Regression with @ContainedIn between 4.3 and 4.4

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Thu Mar 27 07:51:45 EDT 2014

On 27 Jan 2014, at 11:03, Guillaume Smet <guillaume.smet at hibernate.org> wrote:

> Before 4.4, when you add a @ContainedIn to a property without the
> corresponding @IndexedEmbedded, they were still added and taken into
> account in the dependency resolution which was quite useful to declare
> dependencies between entities without having an explicit
> @IndexedEmbedded which are useless in some of our cases.

What exactly do you mean with "taken into account in the dependency resolution”?
Maybe a full example would help here.

> I'm wondering if it's a desired change or just an overenthusiastic refactoring?

It might be. Still trying to understand what you are saying and the full implications.
In particular I am wondering where a @ContainedIn without the matching @indexedEmbedded
makes sense. Custom bridges come to mind in this case. Are you using a custom class or
field bridge in this case? If not, I don’t understand what purpose the @ContainedIn would fulfil.

—Hardy